Thursday, August 16, 2012

smart phones make for stupid people

This week I had one of those "God appointments" I'm always hearing about. I almost missed it because of my smart phone. I was ordering dessert to go from a local restaurant noted for their chocolate pie and banana pudding, when the young lady taking my order said it would be a few minutes and to have a seat. Being in a small room with a stranger, I did the thing I have been trained to do by my "smart" phone—I pulled it out and buried my head in it (funny how that thing has made me stupid with regard to human contact). Fortunately, the young lady was undeterred. Despite my distraction, she sat down across from me and began talking. I tucked the phone away and began to listen.

She shared about her dreams for college, graduating early from high school, and wanting to make a life for herself. I quickly began to realize what a lost art listening has become in my life. It’s critical in terms of connecting with people, and yet I’ve been guilty time and time again of focusing on my own needs instead of paying attention. The result? Missed opportunities, and often times, misunderstandings.

There was a time in my spiritual walk when you literally couldn’t stop me from talking to you about God and the work He’s done in my life. Family member, friend, or total stranger—it didn’t matter. If we came into contact, I wasn’t going to leave until you heard His name. Lately, I’ve been feeling called to come back to that place. Here was an opportunity to do that very thing, and I had almost missed it. Thankfully, her openness had given me a second chance.
I asked her the question that must enter any meaningful conversation I have with a stranger: “Do you have any spiritual beliefs?" "Not really," she replied. "Religion hasn't really worked for me.”
Boy, do I hear that a lot. And I totally get it. Religion hasn’t worked for me, either! But relationship has. As our conversation continued, I was able to explain the concept of having spiritual guidance from a higher power that is 100% FOR ME and knows the best path in life that I should take. This young lady didn’t fall to her knees in awe or pray the salvation prayer. But by the time we’d finished talking, she was intrigued. I left her with a scripture to look up and told her I would be praying for her that very night. I encouraged her to ask God what I myself once asked Him: “Are you for real?” And because He is, I know He will be faithful to reveal Himself in her life just like He did in mine. Prayerfully, a new birth will occur.
(Stay tuned for my next blog on what it means to be "born again")




No comments:

Post a Comment